Your library in the heart of Clare.
Not just books ! The library holds regular events such as Cine Clair plus regular group meetings (Reading, Scrabble, Ma-Jong and more).
We are a local group of green-fingered volunteers who enjoy gardening together to keep Clare looking a green and colourful town in which to live.
Join us on the first Wednesday of the month at 9.30 outside the Ancient House to help upkeep the church borders and the floral containers throughout the centre of the town.
Contact Nickie Carpenter on 01787 278275 email@example.com mobile 07855159642
The Old School was built as an Elementary School in 1862, then became a Primary School, finally closing in 1974. In 1989 major alterations were carried out to provide a Community Centre, with halls for hire of varying size, to accommodate many different activities.
The Community Centre has three halls for hire of varying sizes, a committee room and a well-equipped kitchen. Halls 1 & 2 are provided with curtains to enable them to be blacked out. The kitchen is available to all users of the Community Centre, at no extra cost. The committee room is also available for hire.
The Old School Community along with Clare Town Hall is run by the Combined Halls of Clare http://choc.org.uk
Clare Ancient House is a Grade I listed building recognized as having national importance. The West wing on the High Street is believed to date from the 14th century. The more heavily decorated East wing facing the church with its remarkable pargetting was built in or around 1473 the date which appears in the plaster work. The building is first mentioned in a will of 1502 which refers to ‘the old and the new parts’.
The house was given to the town in 1938 by Charles Byford, a local business man, to be put to a useful public purpose. In 1979 a museum was established on the site but in 1999 with aid of various grants the house was refurbished and the museum completely redesigned. The house is now partly occupied by the Landmark Trust which makes its part available on short holiday lettings, and partly by the Museum. Exhibitions in the Museum tell the history of the Town, of the Lords and Ladies who once lived in Clare and of the ordinary people who lived and worked here. The Museum features extensive computerised records providing a mine of information for those interested in genealogy and the history of the Town, its people and its buildings.
The Park extends to 13.2 hectares (32.6 acres) and is visited by around 200,000 people each year. Clare Castle Country Park is unique in that nowhere else in the world will one find the following all in one place:
Welcome to the Combined Halls of Clare
The Combined Halls of Clare are two community venues in the heart of the historic market town of Clare, Suffolk. They offer an variety of halls for hire with extensive facilities (including public wi-fi at both sites) and can host events both small and large.
Clare is on the River Stour close to the Essex border in the South West corner of Suffolk.
Clare is a beautiful medieval wool town with many historic buildings, Ancient House Museum, Norman Motte and Bailey, Priory ruins and Country Park situated in the grounds of the castle.
The Town Hall has one large hall for hire which can accommodate up to 200 people in its main hall, it has a stage as well as cloakroom and well equipped kitchen. (Full details can be found here )
The Old School has three main halls for hire plus a committee room and well equipped kitchen. (Full details can be found here)
The venues are used regularly by local groups and are available for hire.
The Trustees employ an Administrator to deal with bookings and everyday enquiries. Our Administrator would be happy to discuss your hire needs and advise on our competitive rates.
CONTACT 07500 642001 or Email. firstname.lastname@example.org